October 5, 2009
On March 23, 2005, heads of government Vincente Fox, George W. Bush, and Paul Martin launched the North American partnership at a meeting in Waco, Texas, with the expressed goal of “a safer, more prosperous North America.”
Proponents of the partnership claim its purpose is to increase security and prosperity for all three nations through enhanced cooperation. Critics maintain the partnership will sacrifice U.S. sovereignty by establishing a “North American Union,” with open borders and a common currency. Recently, President Bush stated that he found these fears "amusing."
Judicial Watch does not find it amusing and is calling for complete transparency and disclosure in the matter. On August 10, 2007, Judicial Watch filed a lawsuit against the Department of Commerce and Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez for denying Judicial Watch access to the North American Competitiveness Council (NACC) meetings and records. Judicial Watch’s lawsuit alleges that the NACC, a key component of the SPP, is subject to the Federal Advisory Committee Act, a federal open meetings law. (Learn more about the litigation.)
Follow the links below to read the recently released documents and to learn more about the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America.
- Judicial Watch v. U.S. Department of Commerce - Judicial Watch has filed a lawsuit against the Department of Commerce and Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez for denying Judicial Watch access to the North American Competitiveness Council (NACC) meetings and records.
- Judicial Watch Files Lawsuit Seeking Access to Security and Prosperity Partnership Advisory Group Meetings and Records (August 10, 2007)
- Judicial Watch Seeks Access to North American Competitiveness Council Meetings under Federal Open Meetings Law (July 27, 2007)
- New “Security & Prosperity Partnership” Records Reveal Proposal for U.S.-Canadian Funded Grants for Mexico (June 5, 2007)
- Judicial Watch Uncovers 2005 Chertoff Implementation Memo on Security and Prosperity Partnership (March 20, 2007)
- Judicial Watch Obtains “Security and Prosperity Partnership” Records Detailing Border Management and Travel Recommendations (March 15, 2007)
- Judicial Watch Releases Details of Security and Prosperity Partnership’s “Environmental Agenda” (February 7, 2007)
- Judicial Watch Releases USDA Documents on Food Safety, Emergency Preparedness & Regulations from “Security and Prosperity Partnership” (January 31, 2007)
- Judicial Watch Releases Pentagon Records from “North American Forum” Meetings (January 29, 2007)
- New "Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America" Documents Detail Influenza Pandemic and E-Commerce Working Groups (October 17, 2006)
- Newly Uncovered Commerce Department Documents Detail "Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America" (September 26, 2006)
- 2007 Report to Leaders from the North American Competiveness Council
- Totalization Agreement with Mexico – U.S.-Mexican agreement, signed June 29, 2004, obtained from the Social Security Administration (SSA) under the Freedom of Information Act. The cover letter from the SSA states that the agreement has not been "finalized."
- Health and Human Services SPP Records
- Secretary Michael Chertoff’s September 22, 2005 Implementation Memorandum and an Information Paper describing "Prosperity Pillar Working Groups."
- SPP Security Agenda; US – Mexico Infrastructure Protection Working Group; SPP Security High-Level Working Group List
- 2007 North American Competetiveness Council (NACC) Recommendations
- Border Management and Travel Recommendations
- SPP "Environmental Agenda"
- USDA Documents
- NORTHCOM Cover Letter
- Working Group on Electronic Commerce - Meeting April 2005
- Working Group on Pandemic Influenza Planning Preparedness
- Section I - SPP Contact Lists and Organization Charts
- Section II - SPP Regulatory Cooperation Symposium
- Section III - SPP Meeting with Commerce Secretary Gutierrez, March 15, 2006
- Section IV - Launch of the North American Competitiveness Council (NACC), May 26, 2006
- Section V - Final Recommendations of the U.S. Section of the NACC
- Section VI - Launch of the NACC with SPP Ministers, June 15, 2006
- Section VII - NACC Documents
- Section VIII - Prof. Robert A. Pastor’s Seminar on Building a North American Community, September 21, 2005.
- Report to Leaders I (June 2005)
- Report to Leaders II (June 2005)
NEWS REPORTS, RELATED WEBSITES AND OTHER INFORMATION
- Bush 'Amused' By 'North American Union' Fears - CNSNews.com (August 23, 2007)
- Watch Chris Farrell on CNN regarding the North American Summit (August 20, 2007)
- Watch the Judicial Watch Educational Panel: "The Security and Prosperity Partnership -- Threat or Opportunity?"
- See Judicial Watch Featured on CNN's Lou Dobbs!
- Watch Chris Farrell on Fox News!
- Canadian SPP Web Page
- Reports (See the August 2006 Report to Leaders containing "105 SPP Initiatives.")
- Council of the Americas
- Building a North American Community: Report of an Independent Task Force
- Top secret: Banff security meeting attracted U.S., Mexico officials (September 21, 2006)